Here are two easy recipes to try from the RowHome staff. Do you have a recipe to share? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org and it may appear on the blog or in our upcoming print issue!
Blueberry Banana Bread w/ White Chocolate Bursts
by Mark Casasanto
Spring is almost here and summer is coming! Here is a very versatile recipe for a truly light and wonderful bread recipe featuring two warm weather fruit favorites and a little pop of white chocolate love. The best part- this recipe yields two loaves; one for keeping and one for giving. This bread also freezes well (for two-three months) just in case you’re not in the giving mood.
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 medium, ripe and mashed bananas
- 2 cups flour, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup of white chocolate morsels
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease and flour two 9×5 loaf pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Peel, then mash bananas and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- In a side bowl, beat eggs lightly using a fork.
- Add eggs to sugar mixture and beat until combined.
- Add mashed bananas and mix until combined.
- In another bowl, sift flour, baking soda, and salt together. Slowly add to banana mixture. Mix until combined being careful not to over mix.
- Combine blueberries and white chocolate morsels. Toss gently to coat with the extra 2 tablespoons of flour. Discard extra flour from the blueberries and chocolate. Carefully fold into batter.
- Pour batter, in equal amounts, into prepared loaf pans and bake at 375 for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes (top should be firm and a toothpick inserted into center should come out clean). Cool completely before removing from loaf pans.
Serve with whipped cream cheese for a morning breakfast treat. Or try it with your favorite ice cream (pictured here with Butter Pecan and chocolate dusting) for an after dinner dessert or… perhaps a midnight snack! Mangiamo!
Easy Coffee Ice Cream
by Maria Merlino
- 1 cup milk
- 24 full-sized marshmallows
- 1 rounded teaspoon of instant coffee or instant espresso
- 1 container of frozen whipped topping
- Thin pretzels (for topping)
- Chocolate syrup (for topping)
- Add milk to a saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Add marshmallows a few at a time until milk is heated through and marshmallows are melted.
- Add the coffee powder and stir through.
- Take off heat and transfer to a bowl to cool.
- In the meantime thaw frozen whipped topping according to package directions.
- Add thawed topping and fold in.
- Pour in a rectangular metal pan and place in freezer.
- After 30 minutes, stir, scraping sides.
- Return to freezer and freeze until firm. S
- coop into dishes and top with thin pretzels and chocolate syrup.