-Courtesy of Bondfire Media Co.
On Sunday, June 4th popular raw bar and restaurant Oyster House will bring back its ShuckFest after a three-year hiatus. This time it’s bigger and better than ever before: for the very first time, this annual celebration of all things oyster will take place at the city’s largest restaurant Liberty Point, located at the Seaport Museum on Penn’s Landing. An expansive space along the city’s waterfront, Liberty Point will allow expanded activations and more space for oyster aficionados to revel in festivities dedicated to the beloved bivalve. And, of course, the event will culminate in the eagerly anticipated shucking competition for professional oyster shuckers.
ShuckFest will be held from noon to 3:30pm and admission is $75 per person, which includes tickets to redeem for oysters from each tasting table. Also, children under 10 are free with adult admission, and Liberty Point will serve additional food and beverages from a select menu on a pay-as-you-go basis. Tickets may be purchased by clicking this link.
“We couldn’t be more excited to expand the reach of ShuckFest this year,” said Sam Mink, third-generation owner of Oyster House. “Thanks to our partners at Liberty Point, we have more room to celebrate and spread the love with additional activities and more of the best oyster farmers in the region. We’re determined to make this the most epic ShuckFest yet!”
ShuckFest attendees may enjoy the following:
- Live Music by local band Gypsy Wisdom
- Craft Table for children to create personalized jewelry from oyster shells.
- “Shelfie” station (photo stand)
- Oyster Shucking Tutorials, where guests may learn from Oyster House’s own team of master shuckers.
- Meet-Greet-and-Eat and Tastings with 12 tasting tables hosted by local New Jersey and New York-based oyster growers including, Cape May Salt Oyster Farms, Sweet Amalia Oyster Farm, Betsy Cape Shore Salts, Brigantine Oyster Company, Barnegat Oyster Collective, and Blue Island Oysters.
- Oyster Shucking Competition, featuring the pros from Oyster House and other renowned seafood houses in Philadelphia and the surrounding area, all competing for Grand Cash Prize. These competitors will be graded on speed and accuracy by a panel of local celebrity judges. Penalties will be given for presentation fouls such as broken shells, cut oysters or incorrect number of oysters.
- Additional food and drink offered by Liberty Point including Fried Shrimp Basket, Spicy Tuna Tostada, and Crab Empanadas (all pay-as-you-go).
ShuckFest has been generously sponsored by Samuels & Sons Seafood Company and Barnegat Oyster Collective. Ten percent of all ticket sales will go to two local non-profit organizations dedicated to promoting and preserving the natural beauty of our region including: Jetty Rock Foundation and Partnership for the Delaware Estuary.
For more information about Oyster House’s ShuckFest and to purchase tickets, visit www.oysterhousephilly.com. Follow Oyster House on Instagram at @PhlOysterHouse and Facebook/OysterHousePhilly.