-Courtesy of Aversa PR & Events
Photo by Society Hill Films
Philadelphia Zoo (3400 W. Girard) announces the dazzling return of LumiNature Presented by Chase, from November 18th to January 9th. The giant-sized holiday extravaganza will transform the entire Zoo into a dazzling winter wonderland. Guests will experience a magical journey of lights, music, sounds and surprises. LumiNature will feature 14 illuminated experience zones that will feature lively themed displays, newly-enhanced installations and hundreds of thousands of twinkling lights. Highlights will include a 100 ft-long aquarium tunnel, enormous jellyfish, a brand new octopus tree, a 21-feet tall brilliant colored snake, hundreds of illuminated penguins, giant cat eyes glowing in the dark of night, a 22-feet-tall Butterfly Tree, a new Wilderness Express Train, and a 25-foot tree made entirely of lit flamingo lawn ornaments. LumiNature is a nighttime experience, with timed entrance tickets available every half hour from 5:30pm to 8:30pm. Tickets are $25 for adults (12+) and $20 for kids (2-11). Tickets go on sale this Friday, October 9th at 10:00am. For tickets and membership information, visit www.philadelphiazoo.org.
“We are really excited to bring LumiNature back to the Zoo and to our great region,” said Philadelphia Zoo’s Chief Marketing & Experience Officer Amy Shearer. “We have made amazing embellishments, added more areas to enjoy, draped tons and tons of lights, included more sights and sounds, and created a truly joyous multimedia experience. LumiNature is the most unique and memorable holiday light show in the region. We are proud to present something that families won’t be able to experience anywhere else. Philadelphia Zoo lights up starting November 18th! We can’t wait to see everyone this holiday season.”
LumiNature is a full-scale nighttime holiday light show and extravaganza that takes over the entire footprint of the Philadelphia Zoo after hours. Dancing lights, sounds and media throughout the Zoo will create magical illusions of big cats and peacocks coming to life; flamingos flocking on a 25-foot-tall tree; and hundreds of penguins hosting an outdoor party of their very own. LumiNature is designed to inspire a sense of wonder and connection as all these elements come together in this first-of-its-kind experience – available nowhere else in America. LumiNature was designed exclusively and proudly for Philadelphia Zoo.
LumiNature first debuted in November of 2019, and represented the first evening and holiday program in Philadelphia Zoo’s long history. The inaugural event drew tens of thousands of enchanted visitors. While plans were in the works for a sparkling return in 2020, the Zoo took a one year break during the pandemic. LumiNature is now back and even more beautiful and brilliant than before. Offering new and additional areas of sparkle, LumiNature returns with larger displays, more immersive experiences, more open-space and more wattage. A break-down of the experiences and zones is as follows:
* Welcome to LumiNature will showcase cascading blue and white meteor light showers welcoming guests from 34th street to Girard and past the Zoo to the parking garage area. On the Zoo’s main plaza, five 80-foot-tall London Plane trees will be wrapped in stunning blue lights creating a fun and festive atmosphere for everyone, living, visiting or passing through the area.
* Glow with the Flow awaits guests with the bright, beautiful setting of lit orbs, giant illuminated flowers and a massive array of strands of lights overhead.
* Whistle-Stop Wonder will be set against the backdrop of sparkling light-filled trees, where kids can take a trip around Impala Fountain on the New Wilderness Express Train, enjoy delicious homemade hot cocoa and seasonal treats while watching unique light performers delight guests with visually-stunning theatrics.
* Tis the SEAson will wow with an underseas adventure through a 100 ft-long aquarium tunnel filled with stunning lights, gigantic ultraviolet coral rock reef, enormous jellyfish and a sure-to-make-you-giggle octopus tree.
* GO will take visitors on a brilliant trip around the globe, to visit breathtaking ecosystems, highlighting the beauty and diversity of our planet, celebrating creatures, climates and cultures on seven continents.
* Penguin Royale invites visitors to walk the red-carpet alongside hundreds of glowing penguins, under glistening chandeliers amid a mix of light and sound. Be sure to stop by the viewing area to see the ever-growing flocks of live penguins as they swim, play and dive in their enormous exhibit pool.
* Flutter Flair features a stunning 22-feet-tall Butterfly Tree that welcomes visitors through the magical land of the butterfly. Featuring five oversized whimsical Monarch Pavilions and beautifully-winged artistic performers, Flutter Flair offers guests the opportunity to snap a beautiful photo and offers wishes for a tremendous holiday season.
* Kaleidoscope Crossing is LumiNature’s outdoor food and beverage park, offers a comfy place to enjoy a warm adult beverage, hot cocoa or a delicious sweet treat, while basking in a sea of twinkling multicolor lights, evergreen trees and carousel rides.
* Arctic Passage comes to life via an oversized, Earth- shaped 3D screen showing programmed lights, music, sound effects and color, all under a canopy of glowing lights. Snap a photo with 8- feet- tall moving and glowing animal backdrops while enjoying lite fare and beverages at Bites Under the Lights, a newly-enhanced eating and chill destination.
* Flamingo Fancy has moved to a different location offering double the lights and triple the beauty. The now-famous 25-foot-tall pink flamingo tree will serve as the focal point of Winter of Love, a love-themed, 60s vibe area that features a Love Shack kissing/elbow bump booth, a chill zone with bean bag chairs, and a ‘Marry Me Nook’ for anyone ready to propose to their one true love.
* Tree Glee Club will have everyone talking, including the trees! Listen closely as the trees come to life as they sing and welcome you to LumiNature.
* Snake Awake invites visitors to slither through brilliant purples, blues and greens as a giant snake slithers along beside them…and…every once in a while, a big illuminated mouse will appear suggesting a whimsical dance of a chase taking place.
* Big Cat Stalk will have visitors meandering through a path of tall illuminated ‘grass,’ with the stalking eyes of frisky felines appearing and disappearing.
LumiNature by the numbers will feature:
* Over a million lights and 10 miles of power cord
* 500 colorful illuminated flamingos and a 25 feet tall flamingo holiday tree
* 200+ illuminated penguins
* 100 ft-long aquarium tunnel with enormous jellyfish
* 45 completely custom LED light structures
* 25-foot tree made entirely of lit flamingo lawn ornaments
* 22-feet-tall new Butterfly Tree
* 21-feet tall brilliant colored snake
* Glee club made from talking trees that come to life
* Brand new octopus tree that is sure to make you laugh
* Cascading blue and white meteor light showers
* Giant cat eyes glowing in the dark of night
* New Wilderness Express Train
For the second outing for LumiNature, Philadelphia Zoo is proud to again have the support from major supporter and funder Chase. Shearer said, “LumiNature is made possible by the generous support of key donors excited to bring this one-of-a-kind spectacular to our region. We are thrilled to present LumiNature with support from Chase. This experience combines the joy of animals, nature and the holiday season in a unique and innovative way. Add in light performers, awesome retail, seasonal fare, hot chocolate and ever-delicious adult beverages to spark the holiday spirit in everyone.”
“We are delighted to be the presenting sponsor of LumiNature with the Philadelphia Zoo,” said Market Director, Banking, Greater Philadelphia Bryan McCullough. “LumiNature offers a unique and extraordinary experience that the whole family can enjoy. At Chase, being an active partner in the community we serve has extra special meaning during the holiday season.”
LumiNature Presented by Chase is open from November 18th to January 9th. LumiNature thanks promotional partner Yelp Philly. Hours for the 2021 season are Wednesdays through Sundays (closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day), with reservations available from 5:30pm through 8:30pm. Tickets go on sale on Friday, October 8th. Prices are $25 for adults (12+) and $20 for kids (2-11). Philadelphia Zoo Members enjoy discounts on LumiNature tickets. All guests must pre-purchase timed tickets at www.PhiladelphiaZoo.org.